Thursday, March 22, 2012

Painting ArtgirLsy painting herself

The Isis Invitational at Nola's downtown LA this past Sunday was a blast!! I've never seen such amazingly cool earrings...and OH am I an earring fan! There were awesome artists, both visual and musical, cool vendors toting wares of the some of the raddest jewelry I've seen in awhile, clocks made of records and more! I wish I could've shopped around more, although I did get a beautiful pair of earrings from "Native Sol", the boutique in Long Beach who was there representin.' The Isis was hosted by Rikyrah Snow and Ashley-Dominique who threw down an amazing presentation...I love how it was women centered and goddess inspired...that allowed me to feel free in my own presentation. I've really been getting into performance art at these types of shows lately...so I decided to do a surprise art piece. I made a skirt and then painted it with gesso, so it became a canvas of sorts...a canvas I wore!

ARTGIRLSY IS A CANVAS. People painting me wearing the skirt, I was painting myself..simultaneously I was working on the most mixed media and textural collage I've ever done probably, out of many of my scraps of fabric and paper from other art projects, as well as tape, wire, yarn, push pins, plastic bags, etc.

Here is a picture of my friends Dax Mafesi (of "Chocolate Girls" fame and the Yupnows, look for that chocolate video on you tube....I make a funny cameo in it!) and my new girl, Three, an amazing artist and incredible woman. I really enjoyed hanging with them and creating art side by side. This picture shows a homemade stencil being printed on the back of the skirt.


A couple of blank canvases....and now filling it in myself....!

One finished piece...upcycled art.


This looks a lot like my work space at home now which has taken over the kitchen! Thanks boyfriend for not getting mad!!!! I love where my art is taking me....Thanks to the women and men at the Isis Invitational for lettin' me do my thang freely. I am going to extend an open invite to you all in my next art happening, fashion centered, coming soon in collaboration with the Unincorporated Life....stay tuned for that...more info to come. Thanks ya'll!!!!

xoxo
ArtigirLsy*/Jamia

No comments:

My photo
A creator on many different artistic paths, this site serves as a fusion of all my art-lusions.
Custom Search

Followers