Friday, July 17, 2009

Whisper


This collage/drawing/painting was inspired by a challenge from a group of mixed media artists who sell their work on etsy called "Melange." Melange offers up this challenge for any mixed media artist every so often based upon a theme or word. This week the word was "whisper" and I took it and whispered sweet nothings into my own artistic ear and eye. I tried something new with this piece, using a varnish gloss medium in many layers and on the final layer I mixed some purple paint with it and painted over the whole thing. I did this partly to show my students because I like to present a couple pieces of my own throughout the semester and I am going to have a cool or warm color collage project soon. This definitly is in the category of cool color collage.

Also, I found that this medium I used works well for image transfer in which I experimented a little bit on the side of doing this piece. However, I'm still perfecting the technique. I found it difficult to remove all the paper which I think you're supposed to do with a bit of water. Does anyone know how long you should leave the photocopy or whatever you're trying to transfer on the paper or where ever you're trying to transfer it to? Am I doing this right? Any advice you can offer/leave as comments would be great!

I hope you enjoy my first Melange challenge entry!

5 comments:

Glenda-TwoCoolTexans said...

Well, this is simply awesome!!! I am so glad you are joining in the challenge. We may be having some changes in the Melange team soon, but you can always come find us in the forums and keep in touch....Glenda

Jamia Weir said...

Thank you! I'm sorry I wasn't able to leave mine as a proper link...I couldn't figure out how to put one there in the comment box!

NANCY LEFKO said...

Awesome work....thanks so much for taking part in the challenge. Join us every Wednesday for a new prompt :)

Jamia Weir said...

Alright! Thanks! Wednesdays it is.

Midwestie Lady - Linda said...

Beautiful art! Love the lines and color too! Welcome to the Melange challenges!

MidwestieLady
Linda B.

My photo
A creator on many different artistic paths, this site serves as a fusion of all my art-lusions.
Custom Search

Followers